We have needed to think about things like;
- water supply (How can we maintain a clean water supply? Are there ways that we could clean our water or re-use water for different purposes?)
- air supply (How can we maintain a supply of oxygen? Can we use Mars' CO2 supply in some way?)
- energy (How are we going to heat our structure? How are we going to generate power?)
- weather (on Mars it can be as cold as -143C and there are strong winds - how will out structure stand up to the conditions?)
- surface of the planet (on Mars there are volcanoes, canyons, ice caps and gaseous water - how can we use this to assist in our survival on Mars?)
First we drew plans in our topic books and then we went 'old school' and create all or part of our designs using cardboard, toothpicks, glue . . . well to be honest we used just about anything we could get our hands on!